Established as a nonprofit in 1998, Steffen Thomas Museum of Art’s mission is to provide opportunities to engage, to learn, and to be inspired through Steffen's life, art, and legacy. As a single-artist museum, STMA is dedicated to preserving and exhibiting the work of master artist and German immigrant Steffen Thomas (1906-1990), while offering outstanding arts programing and a dynamic exhibition calendar often featuring artists from under-represented communities. Steffen’s philosophy of the Brotherhood of Man – that we are a family of universal commonalities and that arts education is integral to a vibrant and connected community – informs all we do.
The Visitor Experience Coordinator manages how the public interacts with STMA, from in-person visitors to our virtual audiences, and through off-site screenings of the documentary film Steffen Thomas: Rock & Chisel.
This is a full-time, on-site position with a 10 am to 5 pm, Tuesday through Saturday, plus additional evenings, work schedule.
• Welcoming visitors and guiding experience; admission sales and POS system and reporting.
• Generating new visitors to STMA – phone calls, social media, email lists, researching/outreach
• Coordinate group tours – promote, schedule, and facilitate group tours for adults; assist Arts Outreach Coordinator on scheduling and facilitating tours for students
• Converting visitors to members; support Membership
• Curating physical visitor experience – interpretation, wayfinding; work with Director to re-imagine permanent exhibitions
• Curating digital visitor experience – cultivating state-wide, national, and international audiences via STMA's website and social media, and through the production of virtual events, and digital catalogs
• Museum Shop: product selection and placement, sales and POS system and reporting
PastPerfect Online, a grant-funded one year project to prepare, curate, and publish selected entries from the collections management database to an online searchable database accessed from website.
Public screenings of the documentary film Steffen Thomas: Rock & Chisel by Jesse Stephen Freeman at venues around the state of Georgia with traveling educational exhibition (grant-funded two year project).
• Assist with curation and production of traveling educational exhibition to accompany film
• Coordinate screenings with venues: dates, times, AV requirements, speakers
• Attend screenings and set up/break down of exhibition (travel costs will be covered by grant)
• Promote screening events on social media
Other curatorial and collections management related duties:
• Coordinate works on paper and textile rotations
• Art handling, storage, updating entries in PastPerfect
• Assist with special exhibitions and events, as needed
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in visual art, art management, art history, museum studies, communications, or similar field
• Experience with customer service and point-of-sale systems required (retail, food service, tourism)
• Experience in museum or other arts/historical/cultural institution preferred
• Experience with collections management systems preferred
• Strong English language skills required; German or Spanish fluency preferred
• Ability to work independently and be onsite. This position is forward-facing and requires excellent communication skills in person, on the telephone, and online, with diverse audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
• Applications from BIPOC welcome.
For information about the museum, visit www.steffenthomas.org or come visit STMA before applying.
Interested applicants should submit a resume with a cover letter and a 3-5 professional references to Museum Director Alyson Vuley at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to STMA, 4200 Bethany Road, Buckhead, GA 30625. The deadline to apply is October 20, 2023.
Georgia Association of Museums is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.P.O. Box 2133, Marietta, GA 30061